This is the first kit I ever bought. The kit comes with a 6x8 Clear Stamp Set and coordinating dies, one ornate flower border, 3 reactive ink cubes and 3 sheets of Unryu Paper on different colors. You can find the kit details on *My Monthly Hero Kit - April 2018 page.
Back in April, not so long ago, I was just starting my adventures on cardmaking and was not sure yet if I would like it. I decided to buy the kit so I would have tools enough to make a card that looked cohesive. It was a good idea. Cinco de Mayo was coming up and I thought I would have tons of opportunities to make cards and send to people. Well, things did not turn out so simple.
I was very thrilled when I got the kit and could not wait to start making cards. Turn out, my skills were very, very basic and I had some challenges to get moving. Anyway, I was able to make about 5 cards that I will describe below.
I desperately wanted to try the ink pads and that was the first thing I did. I got my background done using all three inks and I Copic colored the little female mouse and two of the cactuses. I thought I could just add some foam tape in the back and that would be all, but I felt that she needed some ground. I have tons of scrap paper so I grabbed some of the green ones and made her a "grass" so she could dance. I added a "Muchas Gracias"banner that came with the kit and some glossy dots in black and clear.
Note on the detail all the sparkle in her dress! For that I used Stardust Glitter Transparent Gel Pen.
I stamped a cactus in the flap of the envelope and that was all.
I was very happy with my first card.
Next I had to try the gorgeous flower border. It took me several attempts to get a clear cut. I finally figured out that I needed a shin of paper under the B plate (I use CuttleBug for my embossing and die cut). I bought later a metal shin to help with the cut for those more intricate dies.
I Copic colored my male trumpet player mouse and another cactus from the kit. This time I Copic colored the ground, stamped and embossed Fiesta Time with black embossing powder. I learned how difficult this is. I have tried many time later and still find it tricky to make sure no little black dot will stick to the paper. After some black Nuvo drops I called this card done.
My third card was inspired by Libby Hickson. Well, I was inclined to do the same as she did for this card from her post to promote the kit. I was stamping the guitars exactly as she did and was adding to my card but I obviously did something wrong as it did not look right to me. I decided to die cut the guitars and use separate. Sometime ago I doodled the pattern you see in the background and it was laying around my desk. I immediately decided to use it for my card. I heated embossed "Feel the Music" stamp from the kit with white embossing powder in a black cardstock, add a black circle from the same cardstock behind the guitars and... voilá! I got a totally different card from what I thought I was going to do.